Natural gas is colourless, odourless and non-toxic. As a safety precaution, to enable the speedy detection of a leak of natural gas, a chemical that smells like rotten eggs is added to it. The unusual smell is immediately noticeable. When natural gas appliances are operating properly, there is no odour.
DO YOU SMELL GAS IN YOUR HOUSE?
If the smell is very weak and coming from an appliance:
- Open the doors and windows to ventilate the house.
- Call the Gazifère emergency number at once: 819 771-8321 and select option 1.
If the smell is strong and you hear a hissing sound:
- Stay calm. Do not use the telephone, do not touch a switch, do not turn any appliance on or off, do not smoke and do not light a flame of any kind.
- Immediately evacuate all occupants and pets.
- If possible, leave the door open to ventilate the house.
- Call our emergency number from a neighbour’s telephone.
- If the leaking natural gas is burning, do not try to put the fire out. Dial 9-1-1.
There is no charge for a safety inspection following the reporting of a suspected natural gas odour.