NO HEAT IN YOUR HOME?
Don’t wait until the cold hits to check your natural gas furnace. A simple check will help you determine whether your furnace will start up without problems when the time comes.
Before you call a technician, here are a few basic troubleshooting steps you can take that might solve the problem:
- Is the power switch in the “ON” position? That switch is generally on a wall (or on the ceiling) next to the appliance, or at the foot of the stairs.
- Are the fuses working? The furnace fuses are usually in the main breaker panel of your home.
- Is the door at the bottom of the appliance properly shut?
- Is the filter clean? A dirty filter restricts air intake and reduces the appliance’s performance. Filters have to be replaced regularly. Most filters can be found in hardware stores.
- Is the vent pipe and/or air intake blocked? Be sure to clear them regularly, particularly in winter.